Industrial Service and Repair
- MMS can provide a preventative maintenance plan tailored to your needs or supplement your current maintenance staff.
- In addition, we provide 24 hour emergency service keeping with our trademark “We Keep Industry Running.” We have the diversity and resources that can get your plant running ASAP.
- MMS prides itself with a diverse customer base an essential key to future success. In the market sectors of steel and stone we have extensive experience with manufacturing, modifying and repairing all phases of processing equipment (from the minerals in the ground to the finished product).
- Our personnel are TWIC holders for shipboard port accesses and MSHA certified for Quarries and Mines. We can come to you and we look forward to helping you in your times of need.
We do metalizing and resurfacing. Metalizing is a process that applies a new metal surface to worn out parts without changing the metallurgical properties of the base material (also known as spray welding). Metalizing provides wear resistance on virtually any surface.
THERMAL SPRAY PROCESS OVERVIEW
Thermal spray coating involves the use of a torch to heat a material, in powder or wire form, to a molten or near-molten state, and the use of a gas to propel the material to the target substrate, creating a completely new surface. The coating material may be a single element, alloy or compound with unique physical properties that are, in most cases, achievable only through the thermal spray process.
Thermal spray coatings are a highly cost-effective and straight-forward method for adding superior properties and performance qualities to a given engineering surface. The variety of products and coatings that can be enhanced by thermal spray are virtually limitless. The coatings are usually metallic, ceramic, carbides, or a combination of these materials to meet a range of physical criteria.
As a family of related technologies, each thermal spray process brings distinct advantages. This provides a high degree of flexibility to meet a wide array of application and production requirements. These processes include:
- Atmospheric Plasma Spray
- Champro® Controlled Atmosphere Plasma Spray
- HVOF (High Velocity Oxy-Fuel) Spray, using either gas or liquid as the combustion fuel
- Combustion Powder Thermospray®
- Combustion Wire Spray
- Electric Arc Wire Spray
COMBUSTION WIRE SPRAY PROCESS OVERVIEW
The Combustion Wire Spray process employs a set of drive rolls powered by an air turbine or an electric motor to draw a metal alloy wire through the combustion spray gun. At the gun nozzle, fuel gas of acetylene, propane, hydrogen or MAPP is mixed with oxygen in precise volumetric proportions using a siphon plug and ignited to create a flame, which is then shaped at the gun’s air cap by compressed air. The metal wire is fed concentrically into the flame, melted and atomized by the compressed air, and the molten droplets are propelled towards a prepared surface where they solidify and bond to the substrate to form a coating.
Combustion wire spray is a common choice for machine element repair and corrosion coatings. Either hard (higher melt temperature) or soft (lower melt temperature) wires can be used.
Features of the Combustion Wire Spray Process:
- Applies a range of metallic alloys and pure metals for restoration, corrosion coatings and other purposes
- Configurations from economical manual systems to fully automated production systems are available
- Can be portable for on-site coatings
- High spray rates with low gas consumption
- Coatings can be machined to final dimensions and finish
- Masking of areas that should not be coated is possible
- Coating of internal geometries is possible
- Very simple to operate and maintain
Machine Shop Services
- MMS has been known for its large capacity turn capabilities. We can build new to your specification or conduct resurfacing repairs such as metalizing.
- MMS has had extensive experience with competitive journal repair and steel mill roll refurbishment.
- Additionally, hard facing and grinding to provide extended service and longevity to your equipment.
- In addition to large manual equipment we have a large CNC turning center capacity with unique software designed to chase worn and damaged threads.
- MMS performs a wide range of portable machining services.
- This includes but is not limited to earth moving equipment and all in plant processing equipment.
- If equipment is timely or costly to remove let us quote machining it in place.
Welding and Fabrication
- MMS can custom build equipment or machinery to meet your specific needs and specifications.
- Matching or reverse engineering obsolete equipment has been one of our favorite niches.
- MMS Repairing, modifying and upgrading weak links in your process has always proved one of our more popular services.
- If you simply want to supplement your maintenance or welding department our staff will serve as a compliment to yours.
SPECIALIZED AND CUSTOM REPAIRS
Meldrum Mechanical Services, Inc. has established itself with highly skilled men with a long history of experience working in industrial repair.
ABOVE WATER REPAIRS
- Main Blade Replacement
- Thruster Repairs
- Cargo Holds
- Side Tanks
- Inter Bottom
On the Water Repair is Also Available
TRUCKING & CRANE SERVICES
Meldrum Mechanical has it’s own trucking and crane services available.
Lower Great Lakes, Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Pennsylvania and New York
Millwright & Crane Service
We can provide equipment rental or onsite Millwright services. We can custom fit our service to best suit your needs.
- 175 Ton Truck Crane with OSHA Certified Manbaskets
- Boom Trucks (30 Ton, 26 Ton, 12.5 Ton)
- Forklift (38,000 lb Capacity)
- Semi w/Lowboy & Flatbed
- Enerpac Cylinder Sets up to 200 Ton Sets
- Hydraulic Manlift
- Various Hoist for in Plant Rigging
- Heavy Equipment Rollers
CNC Horizontal Mill sizes X = 42”, Y = 22”, Z = 16”
Horizontal Mill sizes X = 74”, Y = 78”, Z = 63”
Horizontal Mill sizes X = 65”, Y = 65”, Z = 60”
Horizontal Mill sizes X = 26”, Y = 36”, Z = 36”
Vertical Mill sizes X = 118”, Y = 24”, Z = 24”
CNC Lathe Swing Over Bed 31.5”, Swing Over Crosslide
20”, Distance Between Centers 120”
12” Bore with Double Chuck
Manual Lathe sizes 106” Dia. x 360” long
Manual Lathe sizes 28” Dia. x 288” long
Manual Lathe sizes 36” Dia. x 132” long
Manual Lathe sizes 18” Dia. x 120” long
Manual Lathe sizes 18” Dia. x 144” long
Manual Lathe sizes 16” Dia. x 72” long
Vertical Lathe sizes 72” Dia. x 36” long
Vertical Lathe sizes 54” Dia. x 36” long
O.D. Grinder sizes 18”Dia. x 120” long
O.D. Grinder sizes 12”Dia. x 72” long
Surface Recip. Grinder sizes 12” x 24”
Small I.D. Grinder
Tool Post Grinders for Large Lathe
Capacity up to 38,000 LBS
Capacity 15 Ton
Capacity up to 175 Ton
- Flat Bed Trucks
- Semi Truck with 40’ Trailer
- 50 Ton Capacity Low Boy Trailer
- Metalizing equipment
- Babbit Pouring Equipment
- Portable Boring, Milling and Turning equipment
- 100 Ton Break Press
- Radial Drill Presses
- Vertical Band Saw
- Horizontal Band Saw
- Programmable Oxygen-Fuel Cutting Capacity 8” plate x 96” x 220”
- Programmable Plasma Cutting Capacity 1/2 ” plate x 96” x 220”
- Broaching and Key Seater machines
- Large Cap Slotting Machine
- Service Trucks with welding and burning capacity
- Tool Trailers
- Field Office Trailer
- Mig Welding Machines
- Stick Welding Machines
- Portable Welders
- Threading Machine
- Horizontal Presses up to 400 Ton
- Splice Rod/Lancing Equipment
- Enerpac Hydraulic Units up to 200 Ton Cylinder Sets